Tuesday, December 11, 2007

FreeRice.Com

My roommate recently introduced me to a site: www.freerice.com . It is quite interesting.

It is a site where you get asked vocabulary questions and for every correct answer, they donate 20 grains of rice to the United Nations who in turn distribute it around the world to starving people.

I prompted made a lil program that automated the process of clicking the links and let it run over night for about 5 hrs. I woke up to 18400 grains of rice as my score for the night!!!

This prompted my roommate and myself to actually calculate HOW much rice I just "donated"/contributed to the poor.

We took out my digital food scale and proceeded to show that 2 grams of rice had about 172 grains. After weighing one cup of rice, we found that there were 16684 grains of rice for 1 cup of uncooked rice. About 2 cups of rice will just BARELY feed a person (calorie intake wise). So my 18400 grains of rice was enough food for 1 person to eat for 1/2 a day. This didn't seem to impressive.

After looking at the totals on the website, I came to a different conclusion...
They state(as of today) that they have donated 7,536,669,470 grains of rice.

Using the measurements that I have recently calculated, this equates to roughly 193203.628 lbs of rice.... in only 2 months.... This presents a different picture entirely...

Sooo... Goto www.freerice.com ... play a lil bit.... help to fight the war against hunger...
Every little bit helps

No comments: